If you want to know how to optimize your oral health, start with your diet! Some foods are worse for your teeth than others and can lead to cavities and gum disease. To maintain good dental health, eat foods low in sugar and carbohydrates – sugar contributes to tooth decay and can damage your teeth. However, there are some other surprising tips to keep your teeth strong! Our orthodontist in O’Fallon explains more below.
The best foods for your teeth are those that are in fiber and contain nutrients that benefit your mouth and gums. These include calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, candy, acidic foods, and high-carb foods.
Foods to Avoid
Some foods that should be limited or avoided include:
- Soda, including diet soda, should be limited. In addition to the sugar content, sodas contain acid that can damage your teeth.
- Dried fruit – since it lacks water, dried fruit can be just as bad as candy in leaving behind sugar that feeds decay-causing bacteria.
- Beans and lentils – these are healthy food choices! However, they contain phytic acid that binds to nutrients such as calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and magnesium, making it harder for your teeth to absorb them. You can reduce phytic acid by soaking your beans and lentils overnight before cooking.
Dental Health-Promoting Foods
While we know what to avoid, keep in mind that some foods promote great oral health! Some of these include:
- Dairy products are high in vitamin K2, which is essential for healthy teeth.
- Fatty fish, like salmon, is high in vitamin D, which can help reduce the risk of tooth decay.
- Leafy greens like spinach, kale, chard, and arugula are prebiotics that healthy oral bacteria feed on and promote a healthy mouth. Greens also leave your teeth feeling cleaner.
Contact Our Orthodontist in O’Fallon Today!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about retainers or other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact Borello Orthodontics with convenient offices in O’Fallon by clicking here or by calling 636.628.2182.